Monday, February 4, 2013

turn off the boob tube and read: potato peel pie? gross

this month's book club was the guernsey and potato peel pie society by mary ann shaffer and annie barrows. now, don't be put off by the title like i was. bc believe me, i was. this book came about because shaffer was planning on writing a biography about some lady but hit a stumbling block so she visited the english channel islands and learned about the german occupation there during WWII. she became sick during publication and her niece, barrows, finished the book.

the book is written in the form of letters, mainly from juliet but also from other islanders/friends as well. juliet is an english author who just finished a book and comes to know a man named dawsey adams from the island of guernsey. they bond over the love of literature and he introduces her, through letters, to other members of his book club. she soons falls in love with the people, moves to the island and decides to write about about the occupation and about the people she meets.
in case you're like me and don't know your geography

i'm not usually a fan of anything sad but this book was light hearted and humorous. it was a nice and easy read - no gone with the wind over here. it was a bit confusing at first with so many characters but worth the dryness and confusion. and bonus - kate winslet just signed on to play juliet in the film. even though it's not my normal flare of a book [read: romantic, teeny bopper with vampires and unicorns] i'd still recommend. even with it's horrible, no good name.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I know, the title is rather off-putting, isn't it? I always feel embarrassed when I say it and have taken to calling it "the Guernsey book." Shut up--they're making a movie?? With Kate Winslet??? I am so excited!

Sorry I had to change the book club date, but we can have our own PRE-book club and talk it up :). I was going to schedule it on a week night next week so you could still come, but then I realized it was Valentine's day week and was afraid people would already have plans.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...