Tuesday, January 23, 2018

favorite things: i always write about food

did you know it's been 2 years since i wrote about some of my favorite things? imagine if oprah went that long! i know there's been rioting and uproar but i'm sorry my beloved fans, i've been busy. in actuality, i was at a lost on what to write here. i want to get back in the habit but things used to just come to me. since i've been out of practice, my mind is a bit jumbled. that's when i looked at some of my previous blog labels and saw this one. so without futhur adu...

chocolate muscle milk
my friend holly is big into having a shake for breakfast so i started making fruit smoothies most mornings. then i started adding chia seeds to those but they still wouldn't fill me up. so i added spinach and ground flax seed [christmas smoothies, as my kids call them] but i was still starving. my FIL gave me some of his protein powder and kodiak cake mix to make some muffins and i really liked them. that's when i started trying out protein powders. i've tried some and most taste GROSS. i tried some fruit flavored for fruit smoothies but those were so so gross. i figured muscle milk is a huge name brand so they must be pretty safe and i was right. now i make one with frozen bananas and crushed ice almost every morning- and it keeps me full until lunch.

let's play music
i've always known i wanted my kids to learn how to play piano. my cousin's wife was the first person i knew that taught this and i thought it was pretty neat but she lived far away. then a new friend moved in my neighborhood and i tried out a class. i love it! it introduces some harder or more intimidating concepts to kids early on in a fun way so they're not scared later. it's a 3 year program and by the end of that time, kids will not only play the piano but any instrument (because they'll have a solid musical theroy background) and will actually COMPOSE something. isn't that insane? after that i'll have him take traditional piano lessons. my kids can stop taking lessons when they can play every song in the LDS hymn book. anyways i just love this program and the music is so fun and catchy. and it's pretty reasonably priced too!


skinny popcorn and apple chips
i'm *trying* to be healthy and these are some of my favorite go-to snacks. most varieties of pre-popped popcorn are delicious. i was hesitant because popcorn is pretty cheap to make on your own and i was afraid it wouldn't be salty enough for my liking but that's not the case. a giant bag is actually pretty reasonable at club stores and this way i'll just have a little and not feel guilty about eating a whole bag of it. plus it keeps fresher then normal microwave popcorn.
apple chips i started on when my mom brought me a #10 can of them from a company up by her in brigham city. they were so delicious! i buy a big bag from costco when they're there for $10 and those are pretty good too (my mom's company is better but also more expensive). they're a guilt-free snack for me!

step and body pump
i've always like body pump classes by les mills so that's nothing new. they're challenging every single time i take them, no matter how in shape i am, and they're fun! they keep you engaged mentally so you don't dwell on your fatigue. step i have historically hated. i tried it a few years ago and was so inept that i swore i'd never go back. now it's been a few years and my friend convinced me to go again. it was still VERY challenging but now doable. again, it's one of those classes that you have to pay attention and keep your mind in the game but i like those. plus it kills on those calves, which is historically the sexiest part of the body [at least in the harrison home].

betsey johnson's kitty bag collection
i've always loved kitty cats and thankfully they're back in vogue now. her collection (found at ross stores- heck yes!) are super adorable! i want them all! i have a travel bag and makeup bag (my friend has a backpack i'm dying to steal from her). so cute!

'the greatest showman' soundtrack
so many people raved about this movie on facebook that i wanted to go see it in theatre. i was blown away! i love it so much! it's a great, wholesome film with even better music and dancing. plus zac efron; can't go wrong there. the music is so catchy and i've had it on repeat ever since. i even paid the $10 to download instead of ripping it from the library's copy. THAT'S how much i love it.

TV shows
we really in the golden age of television my friends. there is just so many wonderful programs to watch! here are some of my recommendations:
teen dramas: riverdale, the runaways [hulu]
comedy: black-ish, fresh off the boat, goldburgs, the good place, mindy project [ended but not forgotten], brooklyn 9-9, great news, superstore, speechless
mystery: broadchurch, stranger things (netflix)
drama: the crown (netflix- 2nd season has more nudity), the good dr, scandal, alias grace
family: this is us,

galentine's day
created by leslie knope, immortalized by me. valentine's day has always been my #1 holiday but i love the idea of girls celebrating girls. i'm so lucky too that i have so many gals that i love! and if you haven't noticed, target's dollar spot has picked up on the trend so i'm not the only one. this year i'm going with some girlfriends to a spa on a WEEKDAY and just relaxing and eating together. how amazing is that?! this is the first year we've gone OUT for our celebration. usually it's at my house eating dessert waffles or doing a nail party at home.

magnetic phone mount
this is an attachment for your car and i've really liked it! i got it as a gift for christmas and i'm really surprised how much i like it. there's a magnent in your phone case [or one your phone] that matches with the one on the mount so your phone can be in an easily accessible place while you drive. it's nice for when you're following directions or listening to music but i also like it because it helps me not forget my phone [or forget it on top of my car, drive away, then smash it.... not that that has happened to me]. this is the style i have but i bet you can find them anywhere.

*i also have some adult's only recommendations if you are so inclinded but those i won't post about on the internet! justin may run for president one day. so message me for those ones.
Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...